Saturday, July 12, 2008

Some girls swear they know me

Amber is Dawson's Joey, and Allison Vernon Williams from Cry-Baby. I can see Amber as the teen caregiver; the only one that didn't get that she was the most beautiful girl in the room. I envision her as always have had having that deep-pools-of-water depth behind her eyes, even when she smiled, even as a child. I imagine her as having a secret diary hidden behind pretty pastel sweater sets on the top shelf of her closet in her childhood bedroom.

Christie is the song "Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen, and Corey Mason from Empire Records. If I would have met Christie in high school I would have had a girl crush; not in the perv way, but in the "I want her to wear the other side of my 24 carat best friends necklace" way. Christie would have been the girl in my dance class refusing to make eye contact with me, who wore purple leg-warmers, and chomped her gum loudly at her indifference to the other girls' in class. She would have pegged me as "one of them" and I would have been beyond crushed. I would have falled all over myself to prove she was wrong; only proving how right she was.


Katie is Peggy Linton beautiful and sparks images of listening to The Mamas & The Papas while driving down a rural scenic highway your freshman year to Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. I imagine her as the girl in high school who hung out in the art room during lunch hour; the one who knew what Dadaism was and had read The Dharma Bums by 13. Someone who never tried to "fit in" and never had to try to be cool. Her very being must have flew over her classmate's head. High school strikes me as having to have been somewhat lonely to have been so sophisticated.


I am Angela Chase from My So-called Life; I think to much and I fall for the wrong guys. I wore knee socks in high school and had baseball player superstitious habits like only painting my toes silver, or wearing blue shoes.


damn you Jordan Catalano.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Hmmm. Well, I believe you have me pegged. LOL! Though you know I'm going to disagree with the most beautiful girl in the room statement. OH, and I only wish I had sweater sets. I would've rocked them like there was no tomorrow.

Nissa said...

^^ again proving she's the only girl who doesn't know.

sidenote: whose on deck? I've passed the torch.

Katie said...

Yeah, you've got me pegged, too, except I only wish I looked like Peggy Lipton. Hell, I'd take Rashida Jones.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, I was the evil chick who'd kick the heck out of you if you didn't get out of my way. But I didn't make eye contact because I was painfully shy when I wasn't dancing. How's that for a conundrum; a spotlight hog who's afraid of people. Go figure.